Friday, April 5, 2013

Revamped Bathroom: Project #2 - DIY Thrift Store Wall Art

Ok, so on with the next project from my previous post, "Will you spruce up my bathroom Mom?" If you will recall, I did a mini makeover of my son's bathroom in his rental apartment. His requests were; 1). make it more masculine, 2). use black, 3). make no structural modifications, and 4). work within a shoestring budget. 

In yesterday's post I showed you how I revamped his builder-grade mirror by adding a frame that could be easily removed. In this post I am going to share how I made wall art out of thrift store finds all for the grand total of $27 (+tax).

The finished product:


First, I have to confess that the frames where recycled. They were hung on the wall with photographs in the "before" bathroom:



Cute, but definitely not masculine. I decided to repurpose them and removed the glass, mats, and photographs, pulled out the hardware on the back and inside and spray painted them with Rust-Oleum spray paint in Satin/Claret Wine.

 
 

I found these black shiny mats at the thrift store ($5 each) and decided to glue the painted frames to them with epoxy ($5).



After doing this I felt like there should be something 3-dimensional in the middle and went back to the thrift store in search of the perfect item. I found these steak plates for $3 each;

Being made of metal but a bit scuffed up I wanted to polish up the silver. First I painted them both with Zinsser Cover Stain Primer.
 



And then painted them both with Martha Stewart Metallic Craft Paint in Titanium ($2).





 The next step was to glue them down in the center of the frame. Again, I used epoxy.




 To give even more of an interested I hung them positioned in different directions. I used heavy duty, double sided foam tape. 



 Black Mats = $5 each x 2 = $10
Frames = no charge (repurposed)
Spray paint  = $4
Primer = no charge (on hand)
Craft Paint = $2 
Metal Steak Plates = $3 each x 2 = $6
Epoxy = $5   
Foam Tape = no charge (on hand from Bedroom Redo Project)

Total cost of this project (give or take) $27 + tax


Thanks for visiting,
  

No comments:

Post a Comment