Ok, so on with the next project from my previous post, "Will you spruce up my bathroom Mom?" If you will recall, I did a mini makeover of my son's bathroom in his rental apartment. His requests were; 1). make it more masculine, 2). use black, 3). make no structural modifications, and 4). work within a shoestring budget.
In yesterday's post I showed you how I revamped his builder-grade mirror by adding a frame that could be easily removed. In this post I am going to share how I made wall art out of thrift store finds all for the grand total of $27 (+tax).
The finished product:
First, I have to confess that the frames where recycled. They were hung on the wall with photographs in the "before" bathroom:
Cute, but definitely not masculine. I decided to repurpose them and removed the glass, mats, and photographs, pulled out the hardware on the back and inside and spray painted them with Rust-Oleum spray paint in Satin/Claret Wine.
I found these black shiny mats at the thrift store ($5 each) and decided to glue the painted frames to them with epoxy ($5).
Being made of metal but a bit scuffed up I wanted to polish up the silver. First I painted them both with Zinsser Cover Stain Primer.
And then painted them both with Martha Stewart Metallic Craft Paint in Titanium ($2).
The next step was to glue them down in the center of the frame. Again, I used epoxy.
To give even more of an interested I hung them positioned in different directions. I used heavy duty, double sided foam tape.
Black Mats = $5 each x 2 = $10
Frames = no charge (repurposed)
Spray paint = $4
Primer = no charge (on hand)
Craft Paint = $2
Metal Steak Plates = $3 each x 2 = $6
Epoxy = $5
Foam Tape = no charge (on hand from Bedroom Redo Project)
Total cost of this project (give or take) = $27 + tax