Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Let's Vase It" Series - #3, Mother's Day Keepsake Vase

I know, I know, another vase. For some reason all of my craft ideas are for vases. I assume this will pass but for now I am just enjoying the ride. 

Here is my Mother's Day Keepsake Vase



This project was made with a;
  • Dollar Store Vase
  • Photographs printed on regular printer paper
  • Spray glue
  • Modpodge
  • Clear satin spray paint

First I found pictures of my first three children when they were between the ages of 2 and 5. I had them just a few years apart so it was like having triplets. Those memories are priceless. Because these pictures were taken in the pre-digital camera era I had to actually take a picture of the photographs and then edit a bit to get out the graininess. During the edit process I was also able to crop them to the size I needed to fill the spaces on the vase. I also printed them all out as black and white. This helped to improve the quality a bit.

 

 Next step was to spray the dollar store vase with glue.

 



 Then I began to place the pictures on the vase in random patterns. I had to return to the printer a few times to tweak the sizes of some of the pictures so that they fit. As you can see there are still some areas of the vase that are not covered with pictures. The spray glue gave the glass a frosted look, which I liked and wanted to show through a bit so it worked out well. 


 


 Once all the pictures were stuck down I painted two layers of ModPodge over the entire vase followed by a coat of satin clear coat. 

 
Add flowers and you have a great gift for Mom!



Thanks for visiting,
 
 update: 4/26/13
This project was featured on Craftionary's Friday Link Party.

craftionary

update: 4/29/13
This project was also featured on Huckleberry Love, Much Ado About Monday Linky Party.

6 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea! I'm visiting from Flamingo Toes :) Hope you'll stop by and say hello!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Bonnie. I will definitely visit your blog. Thanks for visiting and glad you enjoyed this post.

      Delete
  2. I love this. It makes me smile just looking at it!! I would love for you to come and share this on our Much Ado About Monday link party.

    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/04/much-ado-about-monday-no-6.html

    Hope to see you there,
    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I will definitely stop by for a visit.

      Delete
    2. Hey Deborah, just wanted to let you know that this lovely vase was featured on our Friday Features. Come on by and grab our 'I was featured' button and display it proudly! :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I love it and I think I may use this idea for my mom (with the grand kids pics!)
    Thank you so much for sharing on Much Ado About Monday - please come back and party with us next week!!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete