Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bratwurst Sauerkraut Crockpot Dinner

I found another really good recipe that I want to share. Like my post last week, this recipe came from Taste of Home. It was submitted by Ann Christensen of Mesa Arizona. I made this on a weekend because it only requires 4 to 5 hours of cooking time, (I work during the week and am out of the house over 8 hours). It ended up taking 5 hours for the potatoes to cook completely but the bratwurst was done after about 4 hours. Also, I am not a big fan of sauerkraut but this tasted great. I assume it was because, as the directions instructed, I rinsed and drained it. I highly recommend you give this a try…I don’t think you will be sorry. 
 
    • 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
    • 2 medium red potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
    • 1 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into thick slices
    • 1 small onion, chopped
    • ½ cup apple juice
    • ¼ cup water
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
    • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 lb. fully cooked bratwurst links
    • Bacon, crumbled
In a slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Top with bratwurst. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with bacon.











water and apple juice not shown








Thanks for visiting,

24 comments:

  1. I've not thought of doing bratwursts in the slow cooker! Interesting concept. :) I followed you from the Rock N Share link party. I also run a Tasty Tuesdays link party on my blog & I'd love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! Here's the link: http://anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/Tasty-Tuesdays-Link-Party-9.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and I will definitely visit you on Tasty Tuesday...sounds great!

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I had never thought of cooking brats or sausages in the crock pot either! Thanks so much for sharing at the Rock N Share party. Hope to see you again this week! Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch Pinned to my Slow Cooker board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. I can't take credit for the recipe just for the real life review...and it was fabulous.

      Delete
  3. That looks great Debbie! I am sure it tasted really great together!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey, it was...my husband is now a fan and asks for it again and again. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete