Thursday, May 16, 2013

$25 Dining Room Table - Seats Six

I found this table back in early winter at the local thrift store. It was priced at $35. I walked away. Then I came back....three more times. I wasn't returning to the store for the table but each time I came back I walked to the furniture section to see if it was still there. There was something about the line of the legs that I really liked but the oval shape seemed dated. I caved and offered $25 ("come on...it's been here all week") and obviously I got it. It sat in my basement for months. My original intent was to finish and sell. Then one day out of the blue I decided to bring it upstairs into my dining room to see how it looked. I actually got sick of the old table that was there and put it out on the curb for special pick-up and needed a place to eat.






As I have said before, I have to live with a piece of furniture before I really know what I want to do with it. Sort of an artistic analysis. So I broke it down...

Cons: the wood did not match the chairs and it was oval (outdated?) and damaged.

Pros: It was wood, it fit the space, it came with a leaf, I still loved the line of the legs and it served the purpose (we had a place to eat)

I search various furniture blogs, pinterest, and popular high-end online stores. I was inspired....

I decided to paint the legs and base an off-white and the top a rich brown to match the chairs. 



I mixed a couple of chalk paints to make the creamy off-white color and gave it three coats. I topped it with a soft clear wax mixed with a dark wax to tone it down. (ASCP used)

I sanded the top and started with Varathane in Kona (1 coat) followed by about three coats of Dark Walnut.


I sealed the top with three coats of Polyacrylic. I wanted a very durable surface for everyday use and love polyacrylic for its durability. 


 



 And here is the finished product...with a leaf!










Thanks for Visiting,




UPDATE - MAY 22, 2013
FEATURED ON SAVING 4 SIX, THINK TANK THURSDAY 
saving4six

UPDATE - MAY 24, 2013
FEATURED ON OPC'S THE BETTER HALF, THE HUMBLE BRAG LINKY PARTY!!
Featured on The Humble Brag

UPDATE - JUNE 4, 2013
FEATURED ON ROMANCE ON A DIME's TAKE IT ON TUESDAY BLOG HOP #80!!! 
 RomanceOnADime.com



19 comments:

  1. The table turned out gorgeous Debbie! Nice job,
    Peggy @ The Painted Pear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. WOW! What a huge difference! The table looks beautiful and forever like it cost you $1200, not $25!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. What a nice comment...I never thought of it that way. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. That looks so good! What a great find! Came over from the Craftionary Link Party. Hope you will check out my blog! lovepastatoolbelt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. You are right, it was a great find. One that I almost passed up. Isn't it always that way LOL. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I love it, what a gorgeous piece and it is not outdated at all. Stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marty and thanks for visiting. I am feeling better about the whole outdated issue since I put in the leaf and lined up the chair on each side. Seems to give it a more modern flair. :)

      Delete
  5. W-O-W! What a deal and how beautiful! I would love for you to share this at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/assets-and-efforts-linky-party-2.html

    Thanks,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love thrift store finds - what a great deal! Featuring you tonight and pinning now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful re-do..Nothing beats a great deal like that, especially when it looks so fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous transformation, I can't believe it only cost $25! Thanks for linking up! Hope to see more from you on the next party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an amazing job! The top came out perfect and I love the contrast of the wood with the white legs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! Love the white legs with a dark surface. Pinning this. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy...for visiting and pinning. :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! Did you use a latex paint on the legs? I'm thinking of painting my oak pedestal kitchen table but I want to do it all white, including the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the very late response. No, I used ASCP in a color I mixed myself using white and another shade. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  12. Late to the party, but I had to say -- absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete