Tuesday, April 9, 2013

DIY - C&B Vase

I just love Crate & Barrel. We are lucky enough to have a store very close to home and I love to go in and brows. I have to confess though, I have only purchased one thing there and it was with a gift card we received as a wedding present. (see pic below and Thanks again Sue). So imagine my delight when I came across a vase that had DIY potential. It took a while to locate just the right thrift store vase that was similar. That day came last Friday and that $6 vase became my DIY C&B Vase....and I absolutely love it. Enjoy!

You will need.....
          • A Vase

                               and Supplies;

1. First I sprayed the vase with the primer. I like to use spray primer when possible as it gives a smoother finish.


2(a). Once the primer was dry I used a gloved hand to apply the spackling. I used my fingers to spread it in horizontal lines.



2(b). To achieve the same look as the C&B inspirational vase, I made sure that the sides of the vase were not covered with the spackling.



3. Next I took a stiff dry craft brush and began dragging it horizontally across both the front and back making sure not to get any spackling on the sides. I went back over this several times until I achieved the look I wanted. I made sure to blot the brush on a paper towel so it stayed as dry as possible.




Here is the "after" photo before it was completely dry. I used the spackling that was pink and dried white to ensure that I did not get any of it on the sides.


4. After the spackling was completely dry (it took about 24 hours b/c it was thick), I sprayed several coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray Paint in Silver. Here is the finished project...








I know its not exactly the same but I like the way it turned out. It's a hand-made original.

Thanks for visiting,

 Oh yea...here is what I bought with my C&B gift card.

4/12/13
UPDATE: This project was selected and featured on Knock Off Decor!




4/16/13
UPDATE: This project was selected and featured on Romance on a Dime's Take it on Tuesday Linky Party. Thanks Betsy!!!


RomanceOnADime.com


5/10/13
UPDATE: This project was featured on The Power of Paint. Thanks!!!



14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so creative! I like it better than the original! :) Thanks so much for sharing it this week at the Project Inspire{d} party! I'll be pinning this to our board!
    Have a great week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy and thanks for visiting and pinning. I live mine best too ;).

      Delete
  2. Great job! Love the way it turned out! I tweeted it tonight so everyone could see it! Thanks for sharing at The Shady Porch Rock N Share! Blessings, D
    https://twitter.com/DInKentucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And I'm joining the club that likes it better than the C&B vase. :) You are so creative. Thanks much for sharing ~ I look forward to making one too.

    I'm a new follower ~ stop by and say hi when you can!

    Pat
    P.S. Just a suggestion...you will receive a LOT more comments if you turn off word verification. A lot of folks won't take the time and the letters & numbers are difficult to see. You can still approve all comments before they post if you'd like. Let me know if you need help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. much better than origional

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie,
    Just stopping by to let you know that this vase is one of my features from last week's Project Inspire{d} linky party. Thanks so much for sharing it!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Will share on FB, Pin, and tweet. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Wow - love the texture on this vase!! Makes it looks so sophisticated! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!! Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy and thanks for the feature!!!

      Delete
  7. The vase is awesome and so much prettier than the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti-Ann and thanks for visiting. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete