Tuesday, April 9, 2013

DIY - C&B Vase

I just love Crate & Barrel. We are lucky enough to have a store very close to home and I love to go in and brows. I have to confess though, I have only purchased one thing there and it was with a gift card we received as a wedding present. (see pic below and Thanks again Sue). So imagine my delight when I came across a vase that had DIY potential. It took a while to locate just the right thrift store vase that was similar. That day came last Friday and that $6 vase became my DIY C&B Vase....and I absolutely love it. Enjoy!

You will need.....
          • A Vase

                               and Supplies;

1. First I sprayed the vase with the primer. I like to use spray primer when possible as it gives a smoother finish.


2(a). Once the primer was dry I used a gloved hand to apply the spackling. I used my fingers to spread it in horizontal lines.



2(b). To achieve the same look as the C&B inspirational vase, I made sure that the sides of the vase were not covered with the spackling.



3. Next I took a stiff dry craft brush and began dragging it horizontally across both the front and back making sure not to get any spackling on the sides. I went back over this several times until I achieved the look I wanted. I made sure to blot the brush on a paper towel so it stayed as dry as possible.




Here is the "after" photo before it was completely dry. I used the spackling that was pink and dried white to ensure that I did not get any of it on the sides.


4. After the spackling was completely dry (it took about 24 hours b/c it was thick), I sprayed several coats of Rust-Oleum Metallic Spray Paint in Silver. Here is the finished project...








I know its not exactly the same but I like the way it turned out. It's a hand-made original.

Thanks for visiting,

 Oh yea...here is what I bought with my C&B gift card.

4/12/13
UPDATE: This project was selected and featured on Knock Off Decor!




4/16/13
UPDATE: This project was selected and featured on Romance on a Dime's Take it on Tuesday Linky Party. Thanks Betsy!!!


RomanceOnADime.com


5/10/13
UPDATE: This project was featured on The Power of Paint. Thanks!!!



16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so creative! I like it better than the original! :) Thanks so much for sharing it this week at the Project Inspire{d} party! I'll be pinning this to our board!
    Have a great week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy and thanks for visiting and pinning. I live mine best too ;).

      Delete
  2. Great job! Love the way it turned out! I tweeted it tonight so everyone could see it! Thanks for sharing at The Shady Porch Rock N Share! Blessings, D
    https://twitter.com/DInKentucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And I'm joining the club that likes it better than the C&B vase. :) You are so creative. Thanks much for sharing ~ I look forward to making one too.

    I'm a new follower ~ stop by and say hi when you can!

    Pat
    P.S. Just a suggestion...you will receive a LOT more comments if you turn off word verification. A lot of folks won't take the time and the letters & numbers are difficult to see. You can still approve all comments before they post if you'd like. Let me know if you need help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. much better than origional

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie,
    Just stopping by to let you know that this vase is one of my features from last week's Project Inspire{d} linky party. Thanks so much for sharing it!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Will share on FB, Pin, and tweet. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Wow - love the texture on this vase!! Makes it looks so sophisticated! Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!! Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy and thanks for the feature!!!

      Delete
  7. The vase is awesome and so much prettier than the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti-Ann and thanks for visiting. I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  8. How did you keep the spackle from falling off, or chipping off? Did the spray paint harden it? Or is it really delicate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We make silverware decorative vases. For more details & Catalog please write us at:- rkinternational.ind@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete