Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mercury Glass Jewelry Holder



Saturday…a day of rest. Huh?? 

Oh yea, that’s Sunday. Well for me this particular Saturday is a day in sunny So. California visiting my boys.  I almost feel guilty even being here and leaving behind a house with several unfinished projects but it only lasts a minute (giggle) and then I walk out of the Target and see this view and know it's all gonna be OK (smile).

OK, back to the reason for this post...

Remember the closet?   

We are still at work on the walk-in closet. Here is the latest pic of my husband diligently painting the shoe shelves. You can also see a the chandelier...one of my favorite things in the room.

 
 Since this photo we have finished all of the painting and I have laid down the floor. I even found this vintage dressing table and have started putting my mark on it (stay tuned). I know, its a really bad photograph but I forgot to take another one before staring the restoration. This was taken in the store with my phone but I think you can see a lot of the lovely detail.



So you see, things are coming together nicely. 
While waiting for the paint to dry I have also been working on
 little projects that will have a purpose in the room. 

Here is a little glass container I made to catch my earrings.

I found 2 of these little glasses a while back at a thrift store for $1 each. 
I used one to make a tiered serving dish



 I used the same faux mercury glass technique as in this project except I worked on the outside of the container instead of the inside. 


To get the effect desired and allow the drips to flow evenly, I stuffed the inside of the glass tight with paper towels, tight enough to all me to suspend the glass in air. 



Again, to get the mercury glass look, follow the instructions here

Next I glued a ribbon of acrylic crystal gems to the rim....

 ...and Voilà, I now have a really cute little container to throw my earrings into when I am in a hurry and don't have time to put them in their correct spot (stay tuned).




Thanks for visiting,

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love how it turned out. I am pinning your directions so I can go back and try it sometime. Thank you for sharing!

    Linda @ Mixed Kreations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. If you have any question please let me know. It's really easy. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete