It's been a pretty hot couple of weeks here and I don't like to heat up the oven when it's an oven outside. For this reason I turn to my crock-post for tasty meals and I turn to the Taste of Home website for recipes. The family was really in the mood for some "meat'n potatoes" and this recipe fit the bill. As with all of the Taste of Home recipes the owner is identified. This Swiss Steak Supper was created by Kathleen Romaniuk of Chomedey, Quebec. Thanks Kathleen...we loved it!
Prep time is 20 minutes, Cook time 5-6 hours, Serves 6
- 1-1/2 lbs. beef top round steak
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cut steak into six serving-size pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Rub with seasoned salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on both sides; drain.
- Prepare slice onions, measure out carrots,cut each potato
into eight wedges.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, beef and onion.
- Combine tomatoes and gravy; pour over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 402 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 822 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.