Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sewing Box Accent Table

This is one of my favorite project so far........




I found this little jewel at a thrift store and at first didn't really know what it was.  Now and based on the contents found in the top drawer (an a Google search) I am about 90% sure that it is (or was) a sewing box. I love the shape, the detail of the wood, and the legs.



I didn't love the drawer pulls.




I started by sanding down all surfaces to remove the varnish but not to the bare wood. I knew I wanted to paint it so sanding could be minimal (plus I hate sanding). 



I used left over sample paint from my stairway wall project. I loved the color (but not on my wall) so this way I got the chance to use it on something that could live in my home (just not on the wall). To tone down the green I brushed on and then wiped off an antique stain. Sorry....got carried away and forgot to take photographs of this step but here are a few pre-hardware pics. The color is off a bit in these photographs but it really is a light shade of green.






I had a hard time finding 2" on-center knobs that I liked but finally after much searching I found these at MyKnobs.com

 They came in about 4 days and fit perfectly:







 An here is the finished sewing box accent table in its new home (for now LOL).




 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the center knobs. Yes, i agree they perfectly match the color of the table. Great job!

    - BelFab.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this...the finish actually reminds me of the Ethan Allan furniture I had as a child..it was actually my Mom's that was handed down to my sister and I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Staci, I don't remember that furniture and I have been obsessed with EA for like ever. I love the way it turned out too.

      Delete
  3. I love the way this turned out! It's got a great cottage feel now. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bettsi. I too love the way it turned out. I was going to sell it but just can't bare to part with it now. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to part with the next piece I paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty little makeover. The delicate little legs are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim and you are so right about the little legs...the table stands so proudly now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color and the knobs! Great make-over.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete