Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pumpkin Cinnamon-Graham Cake



On Saturday nights I attend a meeting at the church and occasionally bring a cake or cupcakes. I like to try new recipes out on the group's Guinea Pigs members. Tonight I made a pumpkin cake with cinnamon-graham icing, which sounds a lot fancier than it is (was, its gone). It was a big hit so this time I decided to share my recipe.




Cake 
  • Any vanilla boxed cake mix (this is your base)
           I used Duncan Hines b/c is was what I had on hand
  • 1 cup club soda
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs 
  • 1 box pumpkin pudding mix 
Mix the first 4 ingredients until well blended and then add the pudding mix. Mix again for several minutes until the texture is on the creamy side. Bake per box cake mix instructions. 

Note: it usually takes longer to bake when I add pudding


Icing
Any white or butter cream icing should work, be it made from scratch or bought in a tub. The trick is to add a couple tablespoons of cocoa, (enough to give the icing a light brown color), a little cinnamon extract, and crushed up graham crackers to the icing. 




Oh yea...a little trick I use when making up icing that has to wait on a cooling cake. 
Put a layer of damp paper towels over the bowl.


I must admit it was not the easiest icing to ice with as it has the consistency of cookie dough. But I l-o-v-e cookie dough so it was all good.


I broke up pieces of the graham crackers for garnish and placed them on the top and bottom of the cake to give it a more polished look. And then of course I licked the bowl.





My friend Pam thought it was mmm-mmm good!!

 Enjoy!!!

  Thanks DIY by Design for featuring this tutorial on 
Winter Blues Wednesday #107 - Adventures in Design


No comments:

Post a Comment