Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Berlin Maryland



About a month ago we traveled to the beach for my husband’s convention. We do this trip every September and I have developed a routine to keep myself busy during the days when he is off doing his convention stuff. This year I drove to the town of Berlin for a day of shopping. 
Berlin is one of the coolest little towns I have ever been too. So cool in fact that Hollywood used the town as the American backdrop for the movies “Runaway Bride” (1999) and Tuck Everlasting (2002). Remember “Hale Maryland”? This poster hangs on the wall of their local diner.
 

 Here's an interesting fact...Berlin is famous for Hale Peach which might just be why they called the town "HALE" in the Movie



 While most of the glitz of those times is gone I did find a bit of memorabilia (and an amazing hamburger) at Rayne's Reef, which was named the “Falcon Diner” in Runaway Bride. 
  In reality...


In the movie...(obviously on a set and not the real building)


According to their website, this little luncheonette and soda fountain has been a part of Berlin for over 100 years. I recommend the hamburger; they actually scoop up fresh ground beef and hand make each patty. No frozen meat there. You must try one of the many selections of ice cream too.
Here are a few more pics.....
 Shots of the interior and the little elements that make it so unique...
Love the red walls!


My favorite seafoam color

 

Pics from their website..
 

The memorabilia...

If you are familiar with the movie you will remember one of the main characters Maggie (Julia Roberts) lived in the town in a two story near a train track. Here's the house today...
This is the house next door. Such a cute street!


There are a lot of really cool homes in Berlin but before showing those pics I want to share the amazing Hotel that sits on Main street; the Atlantic Hotel. It was also in the movie but definitely not what makes it impressive. See for yourself...
 
 
 
 


Another photo I found taken during the making of the movie. The hotel is in the background. Do you recognized those two men?

Now, on to the reason for my trip...antiquing!

I was searching for a ceramic turkey and anything else that I would fit in my car (LOL). Here are a few pics of the shops.....
 

...and I found it!

Here are some more photographs of the streets that I think give a real feel of the town...

 
Berlin Shoe Box & Shoe Repair Service
 -and-




 
 If you get a chance to go to Berlin, definitely stop by Cupcakes in Bloom...Yummy!!!

Berlin Fiddlers Convention

And one of my favorite aspects of the town...the houses!






I imagine what it would be like to live in Berlin Maryland and did a search of recently sold homes. Maybe someday we will. 




 Hope you enjoyed this post!
Thanks for visiting,

1 comment: